“In the middle of difficulty lies opportunity.” - Albert Einstein

Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Wisdom From the Foundation of the World


I’m reading Pov. 3 about the value of wisdom.  This verse stuck out to me.
19The Lord by wisdom founded the earth;
By understanding He established the heavens;

I was reminded of the verse in Rev. 13:8 that the Lamb was slain from the foundation of the world.  So the wisdom of God in creating all things includes salvation through Jesus.  

As I read this I get the sense that there is a truth here deeper than I can understand in words. You see, I've always thought of wisdom and salvation as separate. I know my salvation is settled when I was 4 years old. You know the standard question: "If you died tonight do you know where you'll go?"   I never worried about that.


So when I read in Proverbs all the cool things you get when you ask for wisdom, I always thought of it as seeking how to live better. It seemed to me like a way to keep me on the straight and narrow and avoid the immoral woman that Proverbs talks about. That woman drags you to hell, and I didn't want that. So wisdom, to me, was an intellectual reason to keep the law and follow the rules.

But God knows I can't follow the rules. It doesn't matter if I'm saved or not. I'll break the law even when wisdom tells me that it's a stupid thing to do.

So I need mercy and grace. And the sacrifice of Jesus "from the foundation of the world" means that my need of grace is built into the system of the universe. Wisdom isn't something I add on to my salvation to make me live right. Wisdom is grabbing hold of Jesus' sacrifice for the power it gives me to be a son of God. And sons of God are heirs to his Kingdom. Sons of God have authority and power.

Wisdom is living by the Spirit of Jesus.

No comments: